Celebrating 100 Years
1922 - 2022
Help Choose our Legacy Project
As the Port celebrates 100 years, we are asking the public to help choose a legacy project that gives the Port of Olympia lasting visibility and connections with future generations in the Thurston County community.
Please take a moment to review the options and select your top choice. Voting closes September 1.
*All photos shown are examples only and do not depict the actual design.
Voting is now Closed
Thank you to everyone who submitted their vote for the Legacy Project.
The winning project will be announced soon.
Part of the Port’s signage plan is to install a monument sign at the entrance of the Port’s properties in downtown Olympia. This sign will be redesigned to include more of a historical element such as listing each district and the date the district was established.
A ship’s bell is a bell on a ship that is used for the indication of time as well as other traditional functions. The bell itself is usually made of brass or bronze, and normally has the ship’s name engraved or cast on it. The proposed design would include historical Port of Olympia elements as well as a plaque with information regarding the Port’s establishment in 1922. This would be a working bell and would have the potential of turning into a visitor attraction with a daily ringing.
A way of informing the public of the date and time. The proposed design would include historical Port of Olympia elements as well as a plaque with information regarding the Port’s establishment in 1922.
The Port would do a request for proposal to local and regional artists for artwork submittals. This would provide the Port with a wide range of pieces from which to choose. A requirement for submittal would be set for a historical Port theme.
The Olympia Airport is among the oldest public airports in the United States. Aircraft operated from the location, formerly known as the Bush Prairie Airfield Site, as early as 1911. The City of Olympia bought the airport property in 1928 and began paving runways and taxiways and building facilities.
World War II
The military obtained control of the airport and it was operated as a satellite facility to McChord Field at the start of World War II in 1941. When the war ended, the airport and adjoining property was transferred back to the City of Olympia under the War Surplus Act of 1944, with permanent restrictions that the land and facilities would be maintained and operated as a public airport.
In 1963, the Port of Olympia purchased the airport and its 700 acres of adjoining property from the City of Olympia to facilitate economic development. The airport consists of 835 acres and the adjoining industrial campus has 440 acres.
606 Columbia St. NW, Suite 300
Olympia, WA 98501